Since the responsibilities of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) extend to Puerto Rico, we understand that new tobacco and nicotine products intended to be marketed within Puerto Rico will need to go through the FDA’s premarket tobacco application (PMTA) process.
Nicotine pouches are not subject to any retail, advertising or public place usage restrictions.
Unlike nicotine pouches, oral tobacco is taxed in Puerto Rico.
This report provides a summary of the current regulatory framework in place for oral tobacco and nicotine pouches in Puerto Rico, covering all policy areas from taxation and advertising to labelling, notification and retail channels.
Reasons to buy
A TobaccoIntelligence regulatory report will provide you with:
- A clear and detailed understanding of current regulatory requirements affecting this sector in a specific jurisdiction, enabling you to be confident your business and your products are compliant.
- The ability to plan ahead for specific regulatory changes.
- Strategic understanding of the policy climate within the jurisdiction, enabling you to forecast how it might affect business development.
- Sources of further information, for example links to full texts of legislation and contact details for relevant government offices.
Table of contents
- Executive summary
- Puerto Rico: the basics
- National regulatory framework
- Age restrictions
- Product restrictions
- Labelling and packaging
- Obligation to notify
- Retail channel restrictions
- Public usage
- Relevant laws
- Relevant bodies
Our research is completely independent and original. It is conducted by TobaccoIntelligence’s multilingual legal analysis team, all specialists in this sector, and goes through a rigorous review and editing process before publication. Research draws on multiple sources, including: online and offline resources and data, specialist legal software, our own extensive databases and report archives, interviews with key stakeholders and government officials, and collaboration with local legal firms and on-the-ground professionals in the jurisdictions covered.